
I, Doxey, just had my yearly review at work and one of my goals this coming year is to become a better writer. I currently work at Techmedia Network which is a online media company that produces a ton of written content for the masses. Many of my coworkers are either writers or editors so I thought I should capitalize on the opportunity to learn from them. The first assignment I have is to free write for 15 minutes every day. When I received this assignment immediately I flashed back to high school English class doing my "daily journal." In my mind that ranks up there with putting bamboo shoots under my finger nails. If you can't tell by my last comment, I am not a huge fan of this English thing. I love reading and love how I am be transported anywhere. But when it comes to the nitty gritty of having to write and put myself out there to be scrutinized, that isn't enjoyable to me.
On top of never being confident in my writing I am fluent in another language which messes up all my grammar. Half the time I use Portuguese grammar rules and the other half is a mix of troll, alien, Yiddish nicely wrapped in English.
Now that I have committed to becoming a better writer I have to bite the bullet and get over myself. For many of you that know me I can be one stubborn mule at times but I know this is for my own self improvement so why not. Why not become a better writer? Why not learn how to communicate better? Why not leave something for future generations to look at and know for a fact that this blonde haired blue eyed boy from Utah hated writing but decided to change? My goal is to write a couple times a week on this blog with my musings and random ideas that I can see proof of my growth. I thank you all for your patience and look forward to this experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment